-----Original Message-----
From: rpg400-l-bounces@xxxxxxxxxxxx [mailto:rpg400-l-bounces@xxxxxxxxxxxx] On
Behalf Of Holden Tommy
Sent: Friday, March 30, 2007 1:27 PM
To: rpg400-l@xxxxxxxxxxxx

alternative for %DEC?

i have a issue i'm trying to resolve. basically i want to use something
similar to %DEC. unfortunately you can't use variable values for digits
& precision with %DEC. here is basically what i want to do:
Code:
                 number = %Dec(%trim(%Subst(Data:FieldDS(Ctr).InBuffer:
                          FieldDS(Ctr).Length)):
                          FieldDS(Ctr).Digits:FieldDS(Ctr).Decimals);
instead of using tons of IFs etc. is there a way to do this? unless
someone has a clever answer i'll end up using this kind of garbage:
Code:
  select;
     when FieldDS(Ctr).Decimals = 1;
        number = %Dec(%trim(%subst(data:fieldds(ctr).InBuffer:
               FieldDS(Ctr).Length)):30:1);
     when FieldDS(Ctr).Decimals = 2;
        number = %Dec(%trim(%subst(data:fieldds(ctr).InBuffer:
               FieldDS(Ctr).Length)):30:2);
which is a major pain....wonder if there is a way for the compiler team
to add this functionality???

Thanks,
Tommy Holden