Slight correction here.

The buffering, or blocking of records,  is actually happening above the DB as
part of the RPG program
itself.

Once the record gets written to the DB, the record is available to all jobs on
the system, even if the
DB hasn't written it out to disk.

If you need to see each record write after it is written, then is BLOCK(*NO) on
the f-spec.

If on the other hand, you write more than one record before needing to look for
them in the file, use
FEOD(n) after the last write before the chain.

FEOD(n) flushes the blocked records to the DB but does not necessarily force
the DB to write then to
disk.  FEOD without the (n) does force the data all the way to disk.

FEOD(n) will perform better than FEOD without the (n).

HTH,

Charles