From: rpg400-l-bounces@xxxxxxxxxxxx
[mailto:rpg400-l-bounces@xxxxxxxxxxxx] On Behalf Of Buck
Sent: Friday, January 19, 2007 9:52 AM
To: rpg400-l@xxxxxxxxxxxx
Subject: Re: SQL using subprocedure variables - v5r4

And it still does not "bust" the "(not a) myth", IMHO.
You can still upgrade, use the old stuff.

Had an RPG-SQL program written back for V4R?.  The programmer put SET
OPTIONS in *INZSR physically at the end of the source code.  It compiled

way back then and has been running fine since.

Yesterday, another programmer tried to re-compile it (to get a listing)
and the precompiler failed it because the SET didn't physically appear
before other SQL (like FETCH).  No code change, not even opened in an
editor, just a re-compile.  The only fix was to physically move SET to
the top of the C specifications.

It took some explaining as to why a moron like me would ever recommend
using SQL embedded in RPG when simply re-compiling would break things in

addition to the precompiler being essentially RPG ignorant.  That
programmer left with a scowl, and probably bad words to tell others
about SQL and RPG.
   --buck