From: rpg400-l-bounces@xxxxxxxxxxxx
[mailto:rpg400-l-bounces@xxxxxxxxxxxx] On Behalf Of
GKern@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx
Sent: Tuesday, January 16, 2007 4:45 PM
To: rpg400-l@xxxxxxxxxxxx
Subject: Assigning the actual length of a variable length field.

I found the following statement by Jon Paris in the archive:

When you assign a fixed length field to a varying length field - which
is
effectively what you do when you assign a literal - the length of the
variable length field is set to the length of the fixed length field.
All
data is then copied in - there is no more special significance to spaces

in
a varying length field than in a fixed length field.

My question is: how do I capture only the value and length from the
fixed
field and apply it to the varying field?

What is happening is I'm reading data from the IFS, modifying it and
writing it out.

I start with a file that is 1k but end up with a file that is 64k even
though the data string (input and output) is less than 500 bytes.

My fixed length field is 64512. I have a varying field also defined as
64512 long max. I know that equates to the 64k I'm seeing, but I want to

only write the data into the varying field, and have it only occupy the
space required (ie 1k).

Thanks!

Regards, Jerry

Gerald Kern - MIS Project Leader
Lotus Notes/Domino Administrator
IBM Certified RPG IV Developer
The Toledo Clinic, Inc.
4235 Secor Road
Toledo, OH 43623-4299
Phone 419-479-5535
gkern@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx

This e-mail message, including any attachments, is for the sole use of
the
information. Any unauthorized use, disclosure or distribution is
prohibited. If you are not the intended recipient, please inform the
sender by reply e-mail and destroy this and all copies of this message.