Jon Paris wrote:
<snip>
e) In the event that I need to debug on the production system copy the debug-
able version to the system.
f) When debugging complete reinstate the no-debug version or (simpler)
remove the debug capability from the production copy.

Surely this is safer than having a source on the production box?  The only
potential exposure of my code is during the period when I'm actively
debugging and someone would have to know how to resurrect a source from the
debug-able version of the program.

Yes and yes.

Having had to debug code on customer's systems for a few years, I've
used the basic outline you described (install debug code as needed,
remove when done).  However, sometimes I'm restricted from getting
debugable code on to their box.  If security is tight, you may need the
customer to transfer your savefile or restore your debug code for you.
This creates the exposure again.  Like with security in general it's a
matter of how far do you want to go.

Would be nice the debugger code access the source from a remote or
(support) client system.  Could be useful for more typical multisystem
environments where production does not have source.

Keith