"Regarding the 65535 limit -- that's ONLY a limit on character strings.
When a data structure is given a name, then the entire data structure
can be used with the string manipulation opcodes and BIFS, as if it's a
character string, so it has the 65535 limit.  However, when a data
structure is "unnamed", it does not have the 65535 limit, since it
can't be used with the string opcodes/bifs."

  "Scott Klement"

Totally unrelated, but maybe.
  I am changing an RPG program called from the web by Visual basic.
  Original program had a limit of how many items it could display. Well there
are more items that need to be displayed. And when the program started to place
those items into the parameters, from a working field data structure, it went
over the limit. But that's beside the point.
  When I try to recompile the program, to address the limits, I am have an
overlay problem.
  There are elevan (11) parameters, 10,  7,  8, 11, 12, 80,  3, and four 30,000
in length with htmnl code and item information.
  The 80 length field is for errors, and only errors have been going out with
no data.
  I'm trying to pass the information we have on, and an error.
  However, the error field is overlaying the 3 postion field, a count of how
many items, and the
  fourteen  (14) bytes of the first 30,000 field.

  Anyone have any suggestios?

  The original RPG/400 program at V5R, works; when I debug it; no overlays.
  We are on V5R3.

  Regards,

  Richard Carpenter.