Not to get off-topic :-)

Yeah, I'd agree about COBOL. On the very rare occasions I meet someone who
wants to go into writing software and wants a job for life (but the punk-a$$
kids these days raraely do...), I tell 'em to learn COBOL. With the advent
of SOX, HIPAA etc., there is less and less incentive for companies to move
away from a (working) application written in COBOL simply because it seems
like an old language. If necessary, they'll pretty-up the front end and
write new stuff in Java or whatever, but I'd guess there will be millions
(billions?) of lines of COBOL code going in 20 years.

I maintan several million lines of PL/I on a daily basis. There's probably
not as much of it as there used to be, but it would certainly fall into the
category of a language where there are programs which still run exactly as
they did when they were written 20 years ago.

As for C... well if it's an ANSI-compliant application written using
'standard' API's etc, it should be usable on a lot of platforms, now and in
the future. Mind you, how many C business applications really are
ANSI-compliant?!?

Rory

On 12/10/06, Joe Pluta <joepluta@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx> wrote:

> From: Rory Hewitt
>
> Joe,
>
> Let's not forget COBOL, PL/I and (I guess) C...
>
> Rory

Actually, of the three, I think only COBOL passes this test.  COBOL is
still
around, and it's going strong in the mainframe world, and in some other
arenas where things like TCO still matter.  Personally, I consider RPG and
COBOL nearly interchangeable -- one of my nicknames for RPG is "shorthand
for COBOL" (the other is "assembly language for the database").

I don't know enough about PL/I, but I don't think there is much business
software written in it.  C has lots of programmers but since it's so close
to the metal it tends to go out of date with the OS.  So that while maybe
on the iSeries may manage to survive for a long time (I don't know), C
written for DOS didn't port nicely to Windows, and C written for Windows
isn't going to play nicely in .NET.

Joe