"Jon Paris" <Jon.Paris@xxxxxxxxxxxxxx> wrote:
You need to modify your programs to specify a DS as the
result field on the READ/CHAIN operations.

Hmm. Doesn't that amount to treating the file as
program-described? Indeed, according to the manual, you
can only do this if the file is declared as
program-described.

James it is time to throw away those old V4 manuals <grin>

The ability to perform I/O with a LIKEDS or EXTNAME DS resulting DS for an
externally described file came in with (I think) V5R2.  And no - it does not
remove any of the externally described functionality.

Hmm. Here's an idea: What if I treat the file as
program-described, but chain it into (and update it from)
a DS that's defined using an EXTNAME clause from the file
in question?

There's no need - just do as I described (and I think Joe meant the same
thing) and it will work just fine.

Jon Paris
Partner400
www.Partner400.com