If CEEDOD is a slow polk then is there a point of using
options(*varsize) on const?

It is not that CEEDOD is particularly slow - but any call to an external
routine is likely to be slower than simply copying data.

As to the ? On Const - remember that the RPG language is mainly dealing with
fixed length fields.  If a routine is expecting a 20 char filed then const
allows me to pass a 10 char field and have the compiler deal with the length
difference.  Similarly it will allow me to pass a packed decimal of 4 digits
when the routine expects a zoned numeric with 5 digits.  If I really want to
handle a variable length input filed I would use the varying attribute and
%len in the called routine in order to deal with it.

Part of your problem seems to be that you are familiar with C/C++ and want
to make RPG behave that way - it won't.  I wish that C would let me define
and handle fixed length fields as easily as RPG does - but I won't get my
wish either <grin>.  With most languages you're best off using the way it
wants to be used and living with the differences.

Jon Paris
Partner400

www.Partner400.com