On 8/9/06, Bob Cozzi <cozzi@xxxxxxxxx> wrote:
>>Leave C behind. Just like those software visionaries Bill Gates and
>>Anders Helsberg did at MSFT in the late 1990s when they bet the farm
>>on .NET

But in that context, "the farm" is actually an accurate and proportional
representation of what Gates & Co. owned (the entire world) at that point in the
1990s. So they could play dice with a few acres.--But that's probably not what
you meant. As my brother often says ".Net is 'mice nuts' to Bill Gates".
Which means, Microsoft NEVER puts all of it eggs in one basket but rather plants
acre after acre of projects--if they do well, they do more of it, if the don't
do so well, the do other things. But they will eventually do other things
anyway.

Back in 2000 they were saying .NET was it, COM was history. Anders
Helsberg is a very bright guy. He was the person who made Borland
great as the author of Turbo Pascal and Delphi.  In the MSFT videos of
him he says he argued that COM was a deadend and had to be replaced.
Bill Gates was smart enough to listen. .NET is the strength of MSFT
today. A C# programmer can code for the web, spreadsheets, SQL and
desktop applications. On an IBM platform your programmers have to know
RPG, C, PHP, SQL procedures,  Java and C# ( for spreadsheets ).  The
people making the software decisions at IBM today are overmatched by
MSFT.

-Steve