PING tests that your TCP/IP stack is able respond to IP control
messages
(ICMP protocol).  I have no clue what that has to do with LDAP.  I guess

it shows that the network adapters in the machines have been
successfully
configured, which is something, but not very much.
It also shows that the two machines are on the same subnet, or at least
that routing between them is working.  The reason I suggesting ping in the
first place is that it sounded to me like there may be a problem with the
iSeries being on the internal network and the mail server being on the DMZ
or something like that.

TELNET would give you
a more accurate test of whether the LDAP port is responding than PING
does.
Which is why I suggested TELNET once it had been established that the two
machines could indeed access one another.  Now that Alan seems to be stuck
with hitting the LDAP server, but either getting authentication failures
or empty result sets, this seems to be a moot point.  After skimming the
RFCs for LDAP v2 and v3, it seems that debugging the connection using
TELNET would be a big pain, as the LDAP messages are fairly complex (at
least compared to other protocols I've used over telnet, like SMTP and
POP3).  Alan, if you are stuck it may still be worth doing, if only to
gain insight into what the LDAP protocol really does 'under the hood'. See
http://www.mozilla.org/directory/standards.html for links to the LDAP v3
specifications.

Alan, perhaps you could check with the LDAP admin to see if s/he can watch
the logs for failed authentications while you try your program.  It may
lead to something ... maybe it is something as simple as incorrect
upper/lower case?

HTH,
Adam
Attention:
The above message and/or attachment(s) is private and confidential and is
intended
only for the people for which it is addressed. If you are not named in the
address
fields, ignore the contents and delete all the material. Thank you. Have a nice
day.

For more information on email virus scanning, security and content
management, please contact administrator@xxxxxxxxxxxx