Sometimes we all look a little pushy.  I was going to refer you to
Birgitta's post (always great to read his posts).

(His? Birgitta is a woman's name, FWIW.)

I think that the issue here was that Bob's retort was only that @ symbols meant that the code was old, and he didn't address the reason why people stopped using them.

The reason, of course, is the international issues that others have pointed out.

But you already countered it with that you only code in America. I would argue that saying that is a little short sighted. Other food chains have expanded overseas. Why not Bob Evans?

Even if Bob Evans never branches out that far, there are still reasons! For example, it makes it much easier for the participants of this mailing list to help you. I know some very smart and helpful people on this mailing list are not in the USA. Birgitta is a great example -- she's an extremely knowledgable SQL programmer, and provides some wonderful insights on this mailing list. Why make it difficult for her to help you?

As far as I can tell, there's no actual ADVANTAGE to using special characters like @ and $ in your variable names. But there are disadvantages, so why do it?