You could make a more meaningful names.  For example... I name my first
screen as A1 and my screen edit routine would be named  A1ErrorsExists  my
code looks like...

If A1ErrorsExists();
    Redisplay...
Else;
   ... no errors continue processing.
Endif

In my screens, I have a field to display messages call MSG.... When the
return is executed it determines if MSG is blank or not.

return MSG <> *Blanks;

If Msg contains a message, *On is returned back to the caller.  Otherwise,
*Off is returned.

Michael Schutte

             "Lim Hock-Chai"
             <Lim.Hock-Chai@us
             amobility.com>                                             To
             Sent by:                  "RPG programming on the AS400 /
             rpg400-l-bounces@         iSeries" <rpg400-l@xxxxxxxxxxxx>
             midrange.com                                               cc

                                                                   Subject
             04/21/2006 02:44          RE: not able to create indicator as
             PM                        constant

             Please respond to
              RPG programming
              on the AS400 /
                  iSeries
             <rpg400-l@midrang
                  e.com>

If (function()) is actually what I try to avoid.

- Below is what I'm usually do:

  If editScreenInput()
  ... Do something
  Else
  ... Do something else
  endif

  P editScreenInput      B
  D                      pi         n

  C                  if somethingWrong
  C                  return  *off
  C                  else
  C                  return  *on
  C                  endif
  P editScreenInput      E

  The problem on above is that I can easily tell if *on means successful
or not successful.

- I plan to change above to become like below, which I think is more
intuitive:

  If editScreenInput() = successful
  ... Do something
  Else
  ... Do something else
  endif

  P editScreenInput      B
  D                      pi         n

  C                  if somethingWrong
  C                  return  not successful
  C                  else
  C                  return  successful
  C                  endif
  P editScreenInput      E