Mike,

That code will display your message whether the SQL succeeds or fails.
You can examine the SQL return codes in the SQLCOD and SQLSTT fields of
the SQLCA data structure, and condition your display accordingly.

Being somewhat new to embedded SQL myself, I don't see anything wrong
right off the bat, but if you put the program in debug and put the break
on your display message, you can examine the aforementioned codes and
see what you get.

Follow the "SQL Messages and Codes" link from the following page to
decipher their meaning:

http://publib.boulder.ibm.com/infocenter/iseries/v5r3/index.jsp?topic=/d
b2/rbafzmstcksql.htm