Thanks.  That helps.  I would probably make the screen content as global
in VT100 service program.

-----Original Message-----
From: rpg400-l-bounces@xxxxxxxxxxxx
[mailto:rpg400-l-bounces@xxxxxxxxxxxx] On Behalf Of Scott Klement
Sent: Friday, March 17, 2006 6:05 PM
To: RPG programming on the AS400 / iSeries
Subject: RE: Getting compile error: *RNF5343 30 21 002100
Arrayhastoomanyomitted indexes; specification is ignored.

Yes, Lim... you need to keep a buffer of the screen (you'd have to do
this if you were writing a 5250 emulator, too.)  no question about that.

But, there's only one screen.  You don't want to keep a separate buffer
in every subprocedure, that wouldn't make sense.  So it makes absolutely
no sense for it to be static.

Copying the data from subprocedure to subprocedure would be inefficient,
to put it mildly.  Instead, you want to have one copy of the data that
can be referenced by all of the subprocedures.  This would either be
done by having one "screen object" that you pass as a parameter to every
subrocedure, or else you'd make it global to the VT100 handling module.

Does a return value return a pointer to a static variable?  No.  It
copies the entire contents of the variable from the subprocedure to it's
caller.
That's why it's inefficient, and why I wouldn't do things that way.

---
Scott Klement  http://www.scottklement.com