Hi Praveen,

Some things to note:

1) We use TurnOver from Softlanding to work with service programs. We use binding directories but do NOT promote them to the production environment. We add them to our worklists, and run them on forms, but the object type is set to not distribute to production environments.

2) It doesn't really matter whether you use binding directories or simply define the modules/service programs used directly on the create command. As you are aware, TurnOver saves the custom create command and will offer it every time you check the program out and attempt a recompile. The binding directory is used to specify places to look for objects to bind to, and a simple addition to the H-spec will cause the binder to search the binding directory for entries that match. This is better for us as we have a reference object that we can check if things don't seem correct. It is easy for a user to remove the custom create command and once done you are in trouble unless you document your implementations down to the binding level (or you are very good with TurnOver). Obviously, you need to watch your binding directory entry definition. for example, if you specify your programmer library for an object while you are developing, the binding directory will not change the library to the next level library when the object is promoted on a form. The entries will need to be set with library *LIBL or you will need to amend the entries after each promotion (if needed). That is, named libraries are named permanently and are immutable.

3) Regarding changing copysource used within a service program and recompilation of client programs. You should find that TurnOver does NOT provide any form of update program facility. The default action is to recompile ALL client programs when a service program is changed. When I set up our Turnover environment to use service programs that was a question I asked and I was told UPDPGM is not an option - TurnOver always recompiles just to make sure. So, your client programs should be updated when your service program is changed. This is assuming you have Hawkeye and the database has been recently rebuilt.

4) Ensure your service programs are defined to have an associated binding source file (in QSRVSRC). That is, if you take option 32 to edit the service program object in your programmer library it should take you into SEU for the binding source. You may not need it now, but you'll kick yourself in the future when you do need it. Having said that, I ALWAYS use binding source - again, it documents what is being exported and supports multiple levels of concurrent operation.

5) Promoting binding directories via TurnOver does NOT place a binding directory in each level (as it does with database files). Thus, once you promote a binding directory from you DEV to your QA environment, the binding direcory is physically moved from one library to the next.

I hope this is of help.

Cheers

Larry Ducie