 >What is the value add compared to organizing your procedures in a limited
number of service programs and then specifying that list of service programs
on the CRTPGM and CRTSRVPGM commands?

The way I use them is to organize service programs by function. So I have a
binding directory for CGI related service programs, one for inventory, one
for order entry, etc. Within each of these binding directories will be a
generalized group of service programs that are made use of from an
application set.

Let's say I have a service program named STRING. That service program will
most likely appear in ALL of the binding directories mentioned above because
string manipulation will need to be a function of all of them. Let's say I
have a service program named XML. That service program will only appear in
the CGI binding directory because inventory and order entry have no need for
the XML service program.

Binding directories are used to ease compiling by making intelligibly
grouped service programs.

>I have a custom build CL for each service program and use the BNDSRVPGM
parm to list the service programs there.

I am guessing you need this for more than just to specify the service
programs that should be bound, but if that was the only reason then you
could get rid of it in favor of binding directories.

HTH,
Aaron Bartell