From: rpg400-l-bounces@xxxxxxxxxxxx
[mailto:rpg400-l-bounces@xxxxxxxxxxxx]On Behalf Of Matt.Haas@xxxxxxxxxxx
Sent: Friday, January 27, 2006 9:55 AM
To: rpg400-l@xxxxxxxxxxxx
Subject: RE: Weird Websphere Studio side effect

<snip>
With respect to WDSCi, I believe the biggest challenge is changing the
way
we work to match the tools.  The legacy of PDM, SEU, and SDA has shaped
the
<snip>

This is part of the problem but one of the biggest issues it has is that
right out of the gate, you get stuck with a horrible install experience
followed immediately by a horrible upgrade experience. Last time I
installed it (this was the previous version), it took hours to go
through the process (my PC isn't that old and slow, 1.6 GHz P4 and 1 gb
RAM). IBM really needs to get a handle on the install process and make
it better (to be fair, the latest Microsoft tools take a long time to
install as well but that's no excuse). To the best of my knowledge,
Eclipse doesn't take this long to install and jDeveloper (which is what
we use here for Java) is really easy -- all you have to do is install a
JDK and unzip jDeveloper. It takes about 10-15 minutes and you're done.

I don't care how good a tool is, if it doesn't give the impression that
it's going to make your life better right away or even worse, seems like
it's going to be difficult to use, you're going to have a hard time of
convincing people to use that tool.

Matt