Tommy,
        I played around with this stuff and I found in EDITRECORD, line
583 (in code.midrange source) you calculate the data position to start
the extraction.  I loaded up the control files to use only one field
from a test file of mine.  When I use KRCTNLDSM to update "VALDSC", I
the data lies in the data buffer (InputData.Data) in position 4.  The
calculated position is 7.   InputData.Row=9 and InputData.Col=34, when I
press Enter (the position after the last character I input).  So I would
assume you need to extract out of .Data starting in position 4 for the
length (screen start position - screen end position +1).  End position
would be (row*80-col-1) (assuming the cursor was always after the last
character data in the field.  I noticed that even though the field is
defined as 200 long, the system does not return the entire 200 character
blank filled, unless I field exit after that character.  The system then
appends x'00' for the rest of the field length.

        I wonder what the first three positions of .Data are for.  I
converted the hex of "11090E" (in one of my tests) to decimal and its
1,116,430.  A bit too large to mean the size of the buffer I'm
gathering.

        Also, when you clear the field leaving just blanks you sometimes
allow the other garbage in the .Data buffer to seep into the value
field.  It can cause problem later.  In one test I did, it captured the
screen heading lines (with COLOR(WHT) attributes, etc.)

        Sorry if this is old news to you.  I would like to know what
updates you may have fit in, since the first message.

Thank you,
Matt Tyler
WinCo Foods, LLC