From: rpg400-l-bounces@xxxxxxxxxxxx
[mailto:rpg400-l-bounces@xxxxxxxxxxxx] On Behalf Of Jon Paris
Sent: Friday, January 13, 2006 12:43 PM
To: rpg400-l@xxxxxxxxxxxx
Cc: Barbara Morris
Subject: RE: compile error on %lookup where array is the return value of
aprocedure

Although there is no obvious reason I can think of why the compiler
would not allow this, I am not that surprised that it fails.  I know
that %Lookup does not permit %SubArr as an operand - admittedly it
doesn't make much sense since %lookup can already control the scope of
the search but ...

The manual explicitly states that an "array" is required as the
parameter for %Lookup.  Normally when something other than a basic data
type is permitted the manual would say something like "array
expression".  However, the manual appears to be very inconsistent - at
least in the BIFs.  Just a cursory reading reveals that %Elem says
"array name" not simply "array".
Similarly %EditW and %EditC both say "numeric", whereas %EditFlt says
"numeric expression".  To the best of my knowledge all three take an
expression - for sure %EditC does.