You don't really need to specify the DS in the Result field unless you
sometimes want it to NOT be read into the DS.

If you use PREFIX on the file's F-spec and use say a qualified prefix,
such as PREFIX('F1.')
Then your data structure would be:

D F1         E DS         EXTNAME(filename)

All the fields are automatically in the DS as well as the file input
buffer.

No need for a result field at all.

-Bob Cozzi
Happy new year!