Hello all,

 We have a requirement to fax certain documents to users who do not have
email. The iSeries fax products I've seen so far are primarily designed
to translate and deliver spool files. We, on the other hand, need to push
PDF and Excel files that happen to be stored on the IFS.

  I'd like to investigate the feasibility of submitting documents to an
existing WinFax server from the iSeries.
1) WinFax provides an SDK that describes how to submit faxes via its COM
interface.
2) IBM Alphaworks has a "Development Tool for Java-COM Bridge" project
that allows Java to manipulate COM objects. See:
http://www.alphaworks.ibm.com/tech/dtjcb. The IBM website says this
product falls under certain export-control rules, and I'm waiting to be
"approved" before I can even view the FAQ.
3) This would be a batch process so there is no need for real-time
interaction between the iSeries and WinFax - we just want to submit data
from the iSeries to the WinFax process on the PC.
4) I have some small experience calling Java from RPG and on the surface
it seems like this ought to work, but I lack all knowledge of PC-ish
things like COM and am totally lost in Eclipse. There was a thread on
Java400-L that referred to jintegra, jacob and jwin but that was in 2003 -
aeons ago.

 If anyone has had experience with this, or can even tell me whether the
project is feasible, your comments are welcome.

 Note: If this discussions happens to get technical I suppose it should be
moved to Java400-L or PCTECH, but at this point I hope it is still
appropriate for Midrange-L.

 Many thanks, JK