Thanks Barb for the response.  I am not sure what you mean when you say the
"UEP Module".  Would it be possible for you to post some code demonstrating
the use of a cleanup procedure.  Thanks again.

John M. Bauman
MIS Manager
Ward Trucking
Second Avenue & Seventh Street, Greenwood
Altoona, PA 16603

Direct Voice (814) 947-1284
Fax (814) 944-5470
www.wardtrucking.com

message: 7
date: Mon, 07 Nov 2005 21:49:04 -0500
from: Barbara Morris <bmorris@xxxxxxxxxx>
subject: Re: ILE and Access Paths

Lim Hock-Chai wrote:

> 2) Set on *LR on UEP module will close files that open by modules with
> *nomain keyword.

No, the files in the NOMAIN module will never be closed until either you
close them explicitly with a CLOSE operation in that module, or the
activation group ends.  There is no *INLR anywhere that will cause the
files opened in the nomain modules to be closed, neither the *INLR in
the UEP module nor the *INLR in the nomain module.

For a module without a main procedure, the best way to close the files
is to have a "cleanup" procedure in the module that your UEP module can
call.  You could use CLOSE *ALL.

For a module with a main procedure, the best way to get the files closed
is to call the main procedure (with a prototype *) and with some special
parameter or no parameters, the same way as you might call a program to
get it to clean up.  You could also have a "cleanup" procedure in a
module with a main procedure, but I wouldn't recommend that because the
main procedure would still think was active, and would not go through
the *INIT part of the cycle the next time you called it, so it wouldn't
reopen the files or reinitialize your variables.

* The prototype for a main procedure doesn't have to have the EXTPGM
keyword.  If you leave off the EXTPGM keyword, the prototype can be used
to call the procedure with a bound call.