Thanks Rob. I am not so worried about somebody turning the journaling off,
just worried about the program that runs nightly, stops journaling, stores
the changes from the previous date, clears the receivers, and re-starts
journaling. We are backing these files up in their entirety each night, so
the journals aren't used for backup/recovery purposes.

The constraints on the log is a much more complex issue... See, if an
account number changes, both the before and after images are stored from the
journals into the log each night. Then, if a person is looking up the
history of that account, they can look at the history of changes for the
final account number, but nothing would show for the changes that happened
before the account number change. So I have modeled a program that reads
through the history of changes in timestamp order, and looks for the
customer account number in the 'after' account number field, and stores
these changes. If it finds one where the 'before' number is different, then
it changes it's search criteria from that point in the file to the 'before'
account number. It continues this until it finds the ADD record, then
displays them to the user.

So you can see that, if an account number changes and journaling isn't on,
for whatever reason, the history for that account is LOST, and not
inquir-able.