Scott:

I am not sure why it sorted like that either.  If I have some time I will
modify my program back to using sorta & see if I get the same results.

Steve Jones

Scott Klement <rpg400-l@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Sent by: rpg400-l-bounces+sjones=hpproducts.net@xxxxxxxxxxxx
10/18/2005 01:15 PM
Please respond to

cc

Subject
Re: Sorting an array w/multiple fields

> I used what Alan Shore replied with except i used overlay (field:*Next)
> instead of specifying the starting pos

I thought you were using an array of data structures?  Didn't you say
that, or did I dream it?  Must be the latter. SORTA is very easy to use on

an "overlay array", as Alan pointed out.

I don't understand why that would yield the results that you posted,
though! I tested your claim by running the following code:

      D                 ds
      D myArray                             dim(7)
      D   Field1                       5    overlay(myArray:*NEXT)
      D   Field2                       5s 0 overlay(myArray:*NEXT)
      D   Field3                       5    overlay(myArray:*NEXT)

      D x               s             10I 0

       /free

           Field2(1) = 6;
           Field2(2) = 0;
           Field2(3) = -4;
           Field2(4) = 4;
           Field2(5) = -2;
           Field2(6) = 1;
           Field2(7) = -7;

           sorta Field2;

           for x = 1 to %elem(field2);
                dsply ( %char(x) + ': ' + %char(Field2(x)) );
           endfor;

           *inlr = *on;

       /end-free

When I run this, it gives me -7,-4,-2,0,1,4,6, as you'd expect.  But when
you posted your results, the negative numbers weren't in the right order.
So, why does mine work, and yours not?

Maybe a PTF issue?