From: rpg400-l-bounces@xxxxxxxxxxxx
[mailto:rpg400-l-bounces@xxxxxxxxxxxx] On Behalf Of rob@xxxxxxxxx
Sent: Monday, October 10, 2005 3:10 PM
To: RPG programming on the AS400 / iSeries
Subject: RE: SQL finally "free'd"???

So what you are saying is that if my host array in RPGLE is
MyDivision(x).MyPlant(y).MyLocation(z) I may have to change it to some
format like
exec sql fetch c1 into:.....;    where ..... may be a totally
reformatted
MyDivision(x).MyPlant(y).MyLocation(z)?
and then you'll take this reformatted variable and do something like
>C                   Z-ADD     -4            SQLER6
>C                   CALL      SQLROUTE
>C                   PARM                    SQLCA
>C                   PARM                    SQL_00006
>C     SQL_00009     IFEQ      '1'
>C                   EVAL      ...TotallyReformattedVariable... =
SQL_00011

Won't that make it hard to find where the variable is used in the EXEC
SQL if it won't match the format of the variable in the RPGLE?

Or were you thinking of getting the RPG compiler people to change the
layout of subscripting arrays?

Or is the change simply in the C specs generated by the precompiler and
you have to make sure that the generated RPG's
>C                   EVAL      ...TotallyReformattedVariable... =
SQL_00011
matches some SQL standard?

Now I am really confused.

Rob Berendt
--
Group Dekko Services, LLC
Dept 01.073

Gina M Whitney <whitneyg@xxxxxxxxxx>
Sent by: rpg400-l-bounces@xxxxxxxxxxxx
10/10/2005 02:07 PM
Please respond to

rpg400-l@xxxxxxxxxxxx
cc

Fax to

Subject
RE: SQL finally "free'd"???

>>But, are there really SQL standards on how host variables in imbedded
SQL

>>can be constructed?

>>And, if there are, should we care?  I really can't see porting
SQLRPGLE
>>other platforms.

What you are asking for would require a syntax change.  Changing the
syntax
would affect all languages. Other languages do have a lot of porting.
So
we would need to agree on a standard way of subscripting arrays and of
how
many levels of qualifications to accept.

This syntax change would also affect all the precompilers.
Overall, a lot of code would have to be changed.

Gina