I guess you're not being facetious, so I'll answer the question.

A 150 line RPG program is different primarily because it's (in most
cases) 150 different statements, rather than a single 150 line statement
as in your SQL example.

With the RPG program I can breakpoint the program at individual lines
and follow the execution flow step by step.  With SQL, testing is
basically "run it and determine any problems from the results".  This is
little better than the old batch report days.  Unfortunately, SQL is
literally decades behind most other languages in terms of debugging.

You can get some information from the joblog if you do STRDBG and there
are other external analysis tools which require various hoops to jump
through, but by its nature SQL is a black box over which you have very
little direct control.  Thus, I consider simple SQL statements to be a
help to development and overly complex ones to be a liability.

YMMV.

Joe