Hardware is hardware.  As others have pointed out, the critical system
values you can display are
DSPSYSVAL QMODEL
DSPSYSVAL QPRCFEAT
See also the information at the top of WRKLICINF
See also the information within  DSPHDWRSC TYPE(*PRC)

The closest thing to a hardware version is Licensed Internal Code, or
whatever is the first product listed is in DSPSFWRSC.  Normally it is
57##999 where the ## varies by the version of OS/400 you are running.  In
V5 it is 5722999.  Normally this is the same version as 57##SS1, which is
OS/400.  There may have been releases in the past where this was not.  For
example V3R0M5 was a special hardware only release but I "think" that
57##999 and 57##SS1 were both V3R0M5.  This may differ in the future if
IBM comes out with another hardware only modification level, (the 'M'
part).

I have to differ with Jim.  I think that was used to be 57##RG1, and is
now options 31 and 33 of 57##WDS, has always been the same version as
57##SS1.  This has not always been true, starting with V3R2 of other
software products.

DSPPGM of a RPG program will show
Compiler . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . :   5722WDS V5R3M0
And that is what level that it was compiled under.
Earliest release that program can run  . . . . . :   V5R3M0
will show you if someone used an earlier TGTRLS than the compiler was at.

DSPPGM of a RPGLE program will show
Release program created on . . . . . . . . . . :   V5R3M0
Release program created for  . . . . . . . . . :   V5R3M0
Earliest release program can run . . . . . . . :   V5R3M0
The last two rows are similar to the "Earliest release" of an opm RPG
program.  What the difference is, I don't know.

Rob Berendt