That's more detail than I might go into, but it sure covers the subject
nicely.  Passing by reference is usually preferable to using pointers.
It does a lot of the same things, but is easier to understand and less
error prone. The reason C uses pointers heavily is that it doesn't
support passing by reference.

There's a baseball gag about an 80s player named John Kruk.  He looked
like someone you might see at the supermarket buying two twelve packs of
beer, a carton of cigarettes, and a bunch of junk food.  Supposedly
someone asked him if smoking was bad for his career as an athlete.  Kruk
replied "I'm not an athlete, I'm a ballplayer."

I'm not a programmer, I'm an RPG programmer.  For what I do I'm happy to
have the wealth of high level stuff that's available to me so I can
concentrate on the business side.  If I never have to decipher a pointer
to a pointer to a pointer I don't care. It's nice to have some of the
lower level things available, but they're not necessary to do a lot of
the things I do.  It's helpful to understand them so you can make
intelligent decisions about when and when not to use them. Sometimes you
really do need them.

*****************************
NOTICE:
All e-mail sent to or from this e-mail address will be received or otherwise
recorded by
The Sharper Image corporate e-mail system and is subject to archival,
monitoring,
and review by and/or disclosure to Sharper Image security and other management.
This message is intended only for the use of the addressee and may contain
information
that is privileged and confidential.

The contents of this message may contain personal views which are not the views
of The Sharper Image.
If you are not the intended recipient, dissemination of this communication is
prohibited.