I'm using Scott's utility for reading a text IFS file.  The file has a
heading,

The top of the file looks like this...
-----BEGIN

My code looks like this...

    H DFTACTGRP(*NO)

      /copy QSRC,ifsio_h

     D fd              s             10I 0
     D data            s             50A
     D wait            s              1A

      /free

        fd = open('/testfile.asc': O_RDONLY );
        if (fd < 0);
            dsply ('Something went wrong, open() failed.') '' wait;
           return;
        endif;

        if read(fd: %addr(data): 10) < 10;
            dsply ('The file does not have 10 bytes to read!') '' wait;
            return;
        endif;

        // data should now contain "-----BEGIN"
        If Data = '-----BEGIN';
            DSPLY 'BEGIN File...' '' wait;
          else;
            DSPLY 'NON-BEGIN File...' '' wait;
        Endif;

However, when I look at the field Data in DEBUG - it looks like this?
DATA = 'âáåñ+&å&(áëë åá                       '

Code page on the file is 437.

I've tried "O_TEXTDATA", but when I try that - it returns fd of "-1".

Any suggestions?

Thanks!

Jeff Stevens
Mize, Houser & Co. P.A.