A quick, minor correction:

The instruction:
  padNbr = 16 - len;
should have followed the instruction:
  If (len < 16);

Mel Rothman
Mel Rothman, Inc.

Mel Rothman wrote:

If you are running on V5R3M0, you can use the new %SUBARR built-in function and an array mapped over outTest. Using a similar overlaying technique, you can get rid of the padChars constant.

For example:

D inTest          S             16A   inz('ABCDE')
D                 ds
D outTest                       32A
D outTestArr                     1A   dim(32) overlay(outTest)
D padChar                        1A
D padNbr                         3u 0 overlay(padChar)
D len             s             10I 0
D bigPad          C                   const(x'1010101010101010101010101010-
D                                     1010')

 /free
   exsr pad;
   inTest = 'abcdefghijklmnop';
   exsr pad;
   *inlr = *on;

   begsr pad;
     len = %len(%trim(inTest));
     outTest = inTest;
     padNbr = 16 - len;
     If (len < 16);
       %subarr(outTestArr: len + 1: 16 - len) = padChar;
     Else;
       %subst(outTest: 17: 16) = bigPad;
     EndIf;
  endsr;