I did not blame the OS, I recognized it was my mistake. But, I think that if possible, the OS should protect me from my mistakes.

I fully realize that protecting me from my mistakes requires disabling some "nice features", the main question is: Is the feature worth the risk? Not an easy one, implies: how usefull is the feature? How often people commit the mistake? how bad is the consecuence?

The circular reference is not usefull, is it hard to test?, Can IBM set a limit to the references? like 10 levels deep?

I don't think cascading DDMs is the best way to reach a file in a computer that is not in the same net, having the DDM point to the Physical file and seting the route in the IP will be faster and more clear.
Paul Morgan wrote:

Raul,

(flame on)

You could also have had a DDM file on PRODUCTION pointing back to your DDM
file on DEVELOPMENT.  This would also be a circular reference but would be
more difficult to detect.  Why slow down a DDM connection even further that
it already is to check for circular references?

Don't blame the OS for your own mistake.  This behavior of DDM files is by
design.  You might not have visibility to another Iseries on the network but
you can point the DDM file to another Iseries with a DDM file which does
point to the Iseries you can't see.  .  Nice feature which I wouldn't want
to see removed just so you won't have stupid recursion problems.

(flame off)

Paul