I've done this, although never initiated from RPG, always from VB. But you
could put the information either on a data queue, or in a user space. Data
queue would probably be better for the small amount of information. Then
have your RPG Program, after triggering the VB, probably using something
like RUNRMTCMD or something like that, do to receive of the data queue. As
soon as it sees something on the queue, it'll take off. You'll have to code
for cancellation or valid data and normal stuff like that, but, yes it is
doable.

Thanks,

Mark

Mark D. Walter
Senior Programmer/Analyst
CCX, Inc.
mwalter@xxxxxxxxxx
http://www.ccxinc.com

             THarteau@felkerbr
             others.com
             rpg400-l-bounces@         RPG programming on the AS400 /
             midrange.com              iSeries <rpg400-l@xxxxxxxxxxxx>
                                                                        cc

             05/27/2005 08:56                                      Subject
             AM                        Calling VB from RPG?

             Please respond to
              RPG programming
              on the AS400 /
                  iSeries
             <rpg400-l@midrang
                  e.com>

Hi,
      Last night I was thinking about a request, and wondered if I could
take an approach that we have never used before.  From a RPG400 (actually
Asset) program, would it be possible to run a VB program that will display
2 separate lists? The user would make one selection and pass back either a
zip code or a city name. I talked to a VB person, and he said creating the
display would not be a problem at all.  I am wondering about how to call it
and how to pass the information back.  This is not necessarily the approach
we will be taking, I don't know if my boss will let me play around with it
or not. I just was wondering if it is possible. Thanks!

Terri Harteau
Programmer / Analyst
Felker Brothers Corporation
Paperwork is like kudzu. Both need to be pruned regularly. Usually, a
flamethrower is overkill.      Usually.