From: Michael Jacobsen [mailto:MJacobsen@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx]
Sent: Wednesday, May 18, 2005 2:00 PM
To: rpg400-l@xxxxxxxxxxxx
Subject: DS / Overlay keyword

I have a question about using Overlay(Fieldname: *Next).

This (simplied example) works:

D DSName          DS
     D   Field                        3A    Dim(3)
     D   Part1             1        3
     D   Part2             4        6
     D   Part3             7        9

But I want to do this without using positions to define the fields.

I tried this:

D DSName          DS
     D   Field                      3A    Dim(3)
     D   Part1                      3A   Overlay(Field: *Next)
     D   Part2                      3A   Overlay(Field: *Next)
     D   Part3                      3A   Overlay(Field: *Next)

And I get this error:

RNF7303S Subfield PART2 defined with keyword OVERLAY is too big;
specification ignored.
RNF7303S Subfield PART3 defined with keyword OVERLAY is too big;
specification ignored.

I want Field(1) = Part1,  Field(2) = Part2,  and Field(3) = Part3

Is there any way to do this using Overlay or without defining the fields
using positions?  The fields Part1, Part2, Part3, are also already defined
in an external file.  I don't know if that will make a difference or not.

Thanks!

Mike