Ok,

I changed to:
       // Null terminate the ldap_host
       LDAP_HOST=%trim(LDAP_HOST)+x'00';

       ld = ldap_init(LDAP_HOST: LDAP_PORT);

And I changed to:
       // rc = ldap_simple_bind_s(ld:
       //     LOGIN_ACCT: LOGIN_PASSWD);
       rc = ldap_simple_bind_s(ld:*null:*null);

the bind works fine.
The search fails and I'll bet that it's because of the
     D MY_BASE_DN      C                   'o=klement sausage co'
Can I use *null for that too? (testing....)  Hey that works!
       // rc = ldap_search_st( ld:
       //    MY_BASE_DN:
       //    LDAP_SCOPE_SUBTREE:
       //    Filter:
       //    %addr(AttrPtr):
       //    0:
       //    %addr(timeout):
       //    result);
       rc = ldap_search_st( ld:
           *null:
           LDAP_SCOPE_SUBTREE:
           Filter:
           %addr(AttrPtr):
           0:
           %addr(timeout):
           result);

In debug, on line 257, msg = Rob Berendt.  Success!!!!
000254       Msg = %str(attr);
000255       dsply Msg;
000256       Msg = %str(p_value);
000257       dsply '' ' ' Msg;