Hello Mike,

In original example it is *NULL which means localhost.
I tried using the IP address in my situation.  I then tried just random
names and all returned a pointer.

The ldap_init() API just creates a new copy of a data structure in the memory of the LDAP service program. It doesn't actually attempt to make the connection at the point where you call the API.

AFIAK, ldap_init() should always succeed unless you're missing a prerequisite licpgm or unless your system is completely out of memory (though, in that case, you'd be having MUCH bigger problems! heh)