But if he's trying to get the best performance out of SQL, and according to the
original post he is; then he does need to be using a multi-row fetch.

In fact, I'd recommend that he up the number of rows fetched at a time.  If I
recall correctly, from Joe Pluta's IAAB website, SQL out performs RPG at 100+
rows.  If his report has 50 lines on a page, then do a fetch of some multiple
of 50.  The more rows you fetch, the faster it will perform, but it will also
use more memory.

HTH,
Charles