From: rpg400-l-bounces@xxxxxxxxxxxx
[mailto:rpg400-l-bounces@xxxxxxxxxxxx]On Behalf Of Jon Paris
Sent: Thursday, March 24, 2005 3:20 PM
To: rpg400-l@xxxxxxxxxxxx
Subject: RE: IBM's RPG Strategy (was: Long Procedure Names)

 >>> Do you think the D- and F- specs should be free-format?  What advantage
would this provide?

The funny thing is that everyone would line up their definitions anyway
<grin>

Of course it would make it easier to code long procedure names etc. but
personally I'm not sure the money spent on it would be a worthwhile
investment.

99% of what bugs me would be dealt with by simply having the compiler
recognize that if cols 6 and 7 are blank - then it is free form.  No /Free
and
no annoying /End-Free at the end of the main line and every subprocedure.
It
is not the fixed form D and F that really annoy me - it is the in-an-out of
/Free.

Jon Paris
Partner400
www.Partner400.com