<snip>
> Don't take it personally if someone says it can't be done.
> After all in virtually every case when someone says that it can't be done
> (like me <g>) it really means "It can't be reasonably done today without
> extensive costs and time commitments given today's technology."
</snip>

I guess I forgot the ;-) ...  Wait, no I didn't forget it... that
symbolizes a 'wink', and well, you know the rest (you did see "I
Robot", right?)  ;-)

I don't take it personally at all, my mind just starts working on the
equation when I hear or see a phrase like that.  I consider it a
personal challenge, just like when I encounter a restaurant that
_claims_ they can provide "All you can eat".

<snip>
>After all
> this is software and we all know software can be written to do whatever it
> is told to do.
</snip>

I agree.  I also find that, with a request like this one, there is
usually a semi-unreasonable demand at the heart of it, or a problem
that can and should be worked out at another level.

It seems to me that if you really need to choose a field at runtime to
grab a value from, you would have to prepare for all possibilities,
and since the number of variables in any program is locked in at
compile time (pretty much), it sounds like a large SELECT clause.

--
"Enter any 11-digit prime number to continue..."