I'm forcing them to enter a numeric value in a character field.  Thus the
reason for not using the MOVE opcode, I actually wanted it to trap the
error and send the message to the user.  The reason for the 3 position
char field for testing was for the opcode TESTN.  They are entering a 2
digit number, and I had to use a 3 pos char field to get the TESTN to work
(or so I thought) but I've taken some advice and forgotten I ever heard of
that opcode.

Ron Power
Programmer
Information Services
City Of St. John's, NL
P.O. Box 908
St. John's, NL
A1C 5M2
Tel: 709-576-8132
Email: rpower@xxxxxxxxxx
Website: http://www.stjohns.ca/
Success is going from failure to failure without a loss of enthusiasm. -
Sir Winston Churchill

<ganeshkumar.murugesan@xxxxxxxxx>
Sent by: rpg400-l-bounces@xxxxxxxxxxxx
15/02/2005 02:20 AM
Please respond to

<rpg400-l@xxxxxxxxxxxx>
cc

Subject
RE: TESTN

Hey why don't use just a MOVE operation instead of that %int operation.
I guess that should work fine by all means. See the modification I did
to your code in BLOCK letters.

     d sctax#          s              2  0
     d pay_type_test   s              3
     d paytyp          s              2

     ?* is the transaction type code numeric?
     c                   testn                  PAYTYP          99
     c                   if        *in99
     c                   MOVE      PAYTYP SCTAX#
     c                   else
     c                   eval      msgdata = 'Invalid Transaction Type

PS: I'm not sure why you are using a third variable PAY_TYPE_TEST.

Ok thanks all.  I went for a break and came back and voila.
I love this list.
Thanks Bob, Don, and Sudha.

Ron Power
Programmer
Information Services
City Of St. John's, NL
P.O. Box 908
St. John's, NL
A1C 5M2
Tel: 709-576-8132
Email: rpower@xxxxxxxxxx
Website: http://www.stjohns.ca/
___
Success is going from failure to failure without a loss of enthusiasm. -
Sir Winston Churchill

"Bob Cozzi" <cozzi@xxxxxxxxx>
Sent by: rpg400-l-bounces@xxxxxxxxxxxx
14/02/2005 03:37 PM
Please respond to

"'RPG programming on the AS400 / iSeries'" <rpg400-l@xxxxxxxxxxxx>
cc

Subject
RE: TESTN

The value could be any of the following, right?

 '__9'
 '_99'
 '999'
 '9__'
 '99_'
 '9_9'
 '_9_'

And then all the negative values, just as J through whatever.

If you truly want digits only in the field and to compress out blanks,
use
the %DIGITS() built-in function.  Oh wait, we don't have that do we...
Okay do this:

D DIGITS          C              Const('0123456789'
D szValue         S           5A  VARYING

C       eval  szValue = %Trim(pay_type_test)
C       if    %Check(DIGITS:szValue) = 0
C       eval   sctax = %Int(szValue)