Hi Tony,

Perhaps the real answer is that there shouldn't be a way to show only two digits for the year. Why two? Why not three? What's two more screen positions? It's the year 2005, not 5. We the programmers, and moreso, the users out there, hate those extra two digits, but they need to get on their little calculators and work it out in their
little heads that 2005<>5, and 1999<>99.

Sometimes you want to just pack one more thing into the 24 columns most of have available. I started to say maybe we should start clamoring for all-132-column displays, but we should probably rather spend the energy yelling or programming for graphic displays like thin clients.

Bob could write an X-tool module that would return an 8-character field in the format specified for those who insist on not seeing the extra two digits in the date.

I'll bet you his tool already does a bunch of date things, maybe even that, although RPG and DDS are supposed to work with dates properly already.

It's a good point. The first y2k adaptation I did I did exactly that, I forced them to enter 4-digit dates, but I'm not sure how they reacted to that.

I have a date-function service program now that takes any numeric field that is supposed to be a date, and converts it from the specified from-format specified to the to-format specified. It's been very convenient.

Some in our next generation of RPG programmers will likely have a mini-Y2K-revisited to deal with two-digit dates, displays included, and even databases where the "windowing" solution was used without any database changes.

-- Alan