hi Lugman

I was wondering why you want to prompt for the fields separately rather than
display the whole screen and have the user key in both the contract and the
date at the same time?

OVERLAY expects the different display record formats to start on different
lines, so the keyword won't help you here.  To achieve what you're trying to do
you have two choices.  One is to add FLD001 and it's label to record format R2,
but change the field to be "output only" rathe than "Both":

      A                                      DSPSIZ(24 80 *DS3)
      A          R R1
      A*
      A                                  4 10'contract'
      A            FLD001         4S 0B  4 20
      A          R R2
      A*
      A                                  4 10'contract'
      A            FLD001         4S 0O  4 20
      A                                  4 45'date'
      A            FLD002         4S 0B  4 51

      FTK        CF   E             WORKSTN
      DFLD001           S              4  0
      DFLD002           S              4  0
      C                   EXFMT     R1
      C                   EXFMT     R2
      C                   EVAL      *INLR = *ON
      C*

Alternatively you could condition the "record 2" fields with display indicators:

     A                                      CA03(03 'Exit')
     A* ------------------------------------------------------
     A                                      DSPSIZ(24 80 *DS3)
     A          R SCREEN1
     A                                  4 10'contract'
     A            FLD001         4S 0B  4 20
     A  51                                  DSPATR(PR)
     A*
     A  51                              4 45'date'
     A  51        FLD002         4S 0B  4 51

     FTST003FM  CF   E             WORKSTN

     D Fld001          S              4  0
     D Fld002          S              4  0

      * Repeat until F3 pressed...
     C                   DoU       *In03 = *On

      * Show the "first record"...
     C                   Eval      *In51 = *Off
     C                   ExFmt     Screen1

      * Display the "second record" if F3 wasn't pressed...
     C                   If        *In03 <> *On
     C                   Eval      *In51 = *On
     C                   ExFmt     Screen1
     C                   EndIf
     C                   EndDo

      * Exit the program...
     C                   Eval      *InLR = *On

All the best

Jonathan