Ron,

It doesn't.  But you'd want to make sure you use a reasonable name.

I'd recommend something like the following:

d CLEAR_SUBF        c                 '0'
d DISPLAY_SUBF      c                 '1'

d gDspfCtl          ds                 qualified
d  subfileCtl            50     50n

 /free

    gDspfCtl.subfileCtl = CLEAR_SUBF;

    // someplace else