Just an idea, would it make sense to identify all of the 'reasonable'
combinations of these steps, and then create a file, one record for
each combination, and create a cross-reference file to the products?

Or are these three codes in three separate fields in a product master?
 If so, why not create a DS modeled after the record format (using
LIKEREC), and overlay one single field over the three 'step' fields
(if they are contiguous in the format).  Then you could 'group' them
based on this overlay field.