Aaron,

<snip>
I am thinking that if we all put our efforts into adding functionality on
top of Scott's that we could come up with some pretty nice code that is free
to all and completely
open source.
</snip>

I think that's a great idea.

What we really need is a RPG wrapper for the following:

1) XML SAX parsing - including the ability to register your own call-back
procedures for bespoke parsing.
2) XML DOM parsing - including the ability to walk through the document
object.
3) XML transforms.
4) Decomposition into database tables.
5) Composition from database tables.

The parsers would need to support full validation (DTD and XSD) and would
need to be namespace aware.

Hmmm...

Yeah, a great idea. If others think they would benefit from a RPG wrapper
like this then I can't see a reason for NOT doing it.

The question is - what is the base for this product? That is, what do we
wrap? Is it Xerces and Xalan? Is it the XML Toolkit 5.2? Is it a totally
bespoke offering? It doesn't look like Scott's parser can work as a
standalone application, so that may not be what is needed. Xerces and Xalan
are free, but a little slow. The XML Toolkit is free(ish) and fast. Both are
fully w3c compliant.

Does anybody out there think this wrapper would be of use to you?

Cheers

Larry