That did it!  Thanks!!!

I found that when I create the DS with LIKEREC(format:*Output), it
worked fine for writing From... But it didn't work from Chaining into.
 What I did was create one DS with *Output, and one for *Input (all of
the records are 'B', by the way).  Then I chain into the *Input one,
and eval it into the *Output one.

Still better than having to code those hundreds of EVALs.. one file to
the other...

Thanks!