From: rpg400-l-bounces@xxxxxxxxxxxx
[mailto:rpg400-l-bounces@xxxxxxxxxxxx]On Behalf Of Douglas Handy
Sent: Saturday, September 25, 2004 3:37 PM
To: RPG programming on the AS400 / iSeries
Subject: Re: still can't get INFDS working.. ##@%%#%@%

Eduard,

> Something like this?
> D DSPINF          DS
> D  @CSR                 370    371B 0

That works in RPG III but not RPG II, which does not allow DS
subfields to be declard as packed or binary (only character or zoned
decimal).  You either need to treat it as character data and TESTB to
convert to binary, or as Alan mentioned, you can use CALL to pass the
character bytes in pos 370-371 to an external program (in RPG III or
RPG IV) which can readily convert it to decimal and pass it back.

Using CALL/PARM for numeric values between RPG II and RPG III (or IV)
needs special attention to the fact the that by RPG II variables are
stored in zoned decimal format and RPG III expects them in packed
decimal format.  So if you name a numeric field in a PARM statement in
a RPG II program, it will get passed to the called program (or
recieved from the called program) as zoned decimal.

I suppose the simplest way to accomplish that these days is using a
RPG IV subprogram with a prototype instead of a *ENTRY PLIST, so that
the decimal field can be declared as zoned.

Doug