Hi Ewart,

I just re-read your e-mail and I am afraid you are mis quoting me. I do not
recommend using the same column name for both the Supplier and the Customer
names.

I Think you skipped this bit of the article

Think of NAME as being a data type as opposed to a field and it should have
been taken care of in the field reference file, as shown in Figure 4. The
NAME field is defined as a "generic" name, and the actual fields (CUSNAME
and SUPPNAME) refer back to it for their definitions.
=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=

      * Field Reference File (FLDREF)

                R FLDREFR
                  NAME          30          TEXT('Generic Name')

                  CUSNAME   R               REFFLD(NAME *SRC)
                                            TEXT('Customer Name')
                  SUPPNAME  R               REFFLD(NAME *SRC)
                                            TEXT('Supplier Name')

Figure 4:  RPG IV Program reading records with duplicate field names.

So, in an RPG program the only fields that should be "double defined" are
key reference fields, and more then likely we will have the same value in
them, since we use them to link between files (e.g. use a CHAIN operation to
get the record from the invoice header and use a READE loop to read all
corresponding records from the invoice details file).

Regards

Paul Tuohy