> . . . No trouble with red and green but if
> I try to use yellow on any field I always get column separators.

Actually, to expand upon the previous answer, yellow is *synonymous* with
"Highlight/CS" in conventional 5250 attributes, just as cyan is synonymous
with CS-only. They are, respectively (and assuming you aren't adding RI or
UL attributes) Hex 30 and Hex 32.

I don't know about the business of "reduced line spacing"; that seems to
apply to some really old terminal or other. For a 3477FC, you can't get
rid of column seps. Period. For a 3487HC, 3488, or 3489, though, as well
as for most of the better emulators (including ours), there is a setup
parameter to suppress them.

The reason for this (and for color terminals only providing a blinking
attribute on red, with blinking red being the combination of the blink and
highlight bits of the attribute, and not providing blink-with-column-seps
at all) is that when color was added to the 5250 spec, it was mapped into
the existing monochrome attributes.

--
JHHL