Keith Carpenter wrote:

1)  no.
cprdata is a MI wrapper function and not an API (like QUSROBJD).

I guess so - but foolishly I believed the manual!
"The cprdata function compresses user data of a specified length. If the compressed result is longer than the result area (as specified by result_length), the compression is stopped and only result_length bytes are stored. The cprdata function returns the number of bytes in the compressed result. This value is always set to the full length of the result, which may be larger than result_length."

Doesn't that sound like it's going to handle it?

Like other MI functions, it lacks the error friendliness of APIs.  This is
the price of speed.  You just have to figure out the problems yourself.

Ain't that the truth!

OK, now I'm interested why you're using DSPLY (let alone compressing data for
it)
Why not use QMHSNDM/QMHSNDPM ?

Because this is a test harness and not a "real" program. It is just simpler to use for a quick test.

Jon Paris